His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, describes himself as a simple Buddhist monk. He is the spiritual leader of Tibet. He was born on 6 July 1935, to a peasant family, in a small hamlet located in Taktser, Amdo, northeastern Tibet. At the age of two, the child, then named Lhamo Dhondup, was selected as the tulku of the 13th Dalai Lama, Thubten Gyatso in 1937 and formally recognized as the 14th Dalai Lama in a public declaration near the town of Bumchen in 1939.
Dalai Lamas are important monks of the Gelug school, the newest school of Tibetan which was formally headed by Ganden Tripas. From the time of the 5th Dalai Lama to 1959, the central government of Tibet, the Ganden Phodrang invested the position of Dalai Lama with temporal duties.
The Dalai Lama has devoted his life since then to the pursuit of humanitarian and environmental causes, global peace, and dialogue between religions and peoples of all horizons. He has written many bestselling and inspirational books and is the recipient of countless honors from across the globe, including the Nobel Peace Prize, which he was awarded in 1989.
One of the world’s great moral leaders, with countless supporters and admirers around the world, The Dalai Lama is one of the most beloved and inspirational figures of the last century.
Here are 11 quotes from the Tibetan spiritual leader that would inspire every person:
1. Compassion is the radicalism of our time.
2. To conquer oneself is a great victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.
3. People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.
4. We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness.
5. It is under the greatest adversity that there exists the greatest potential for doing good, both for oneself and others.
6. If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
7. My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
8. Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back, and reasons to stay.
9. It is very rare or almost impossible that an event can be negative from all points of view.
10. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
11. Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.