By Lakshika Thakur
The JOSH must be immensely high today, especially among Vicky Kaushal’s fans because the URI star turns 32 today. So, on his special day today, let us recall and have a look at all his versatile characters he has played till date and the immense hard work he had put in molding himself in those characters:
1. Very few might know this that Vicky made his debut onscreen in Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana(2012) as the young Omi whose adult version was played by Kunal Kapoor of Rang de Basanti fame
2. He got his first leading role as Deepak Chaudhary in the independent drama Masaan (2015), which earned him the IIFA and Screen Awards for Best Male Debut. He lost 8kgs to get into the character for the film.
3. No surprise if you didn’t notice Vicky Kaushal in another Anurag Kashyap film, Bombay Velvet(2015). The actor played the junior of detective Vishwas Kulkarni, played by Kay Kay Menon in the film.
4. Zubaan is a 2015 Indian musical drama film written and directed by Mozez Singh, starring Vicky Kaushal as an ambitious young boy, Dilsher who develops a speech impairment and stammers after his father’s death. Also you might not about the fact that after completing work on the film, Kaushal found it difficult to distance from the character and began to stammer in real life.
5. In Anurag Kashyap’s psychological thriller Raman Raghav 2.0 (2016), Vicky Kaushal played a drug-addicted police officer in pursuit of the serial killer Raman Raghav , portrayed by Nawazuddin Siddiqui
6. Later in 2018, Vicky appeared in India’s first Netflix original film Love Per Square Foot as Sanjay Chaturvedi. He was first time seen as the male lead of the romantic comedy.
7. Vicky next featured in Meghna Gulzar’s spy thriller Raazi(2018) as a Pakistani army officer to spy for Indian Intelligence, who marries the female protagonist played by Alia Bhatt.
8. In the same year 2018, Kaushal’s second Netflix production, Lust Stories was released. It is an anthology film, consists of four short films dealing with female sexuality. He played a role of newly married man who fails to satisfy his wife sexually.
9. Later in the same year, we saw Vicky in Raju Hirani’s Sanju, a biopic on the actor, Sanjay Dutt. Kaushal played the role of Sanjay Dutt’s best friend Kamlesh Kanhaiyalal Kapasi aka Kamli. For the preparation of his role, he spent time with Paresh Ghelani, who served as the primary inspiration for the role.
10. In his final release of the year, Vicky featured in a romantic comedy-drama love triangle Manmarziyaan directed by Anurag Kashyap. He played a role of a part-time DJ, Vicky.
11. Here came a Joshila year 2019 when URI: the surgical strike, hit the theatres and in span of few days Vicky’s dialogue “How’s the Josh?” was on everyone’s mouth. Vicky played a role of Major Vihaan Singh Shergill. In his preparation, he gained 15 kilos of muscle weight, practicised ketogenic diet and underwent five months of military training. Known to few, he even injured his arm while filming an action sequence in it. The film earned him National Film Award for Best Actor.
12. A year later, Kaushal starred in the horror film Bhoot -Part One: The Haunted Ship(2020). Vicky played a role of a shipping officer, Prithvi. He fractured his cheekbone in an accident during the filming of an action sequence.