Fluttering tricolour, parade showing the rich and diverse culture of India, and the might of army, navy and airforce is the thing that fills every Indian chest with pride.
And as India celebrates its 68 Republic day, here are a few things that you probably didn’t know about the Republic day:
1) It was on this day, in 1930, the voice for “Poorna Swaraj”, meaning “complete freedom”, is raised for the very first time. To mark this day special, and to be remembered in the history, Indian Constitution came into force. Though, the Indian constitution was adopted by the constituent assembly on 26th November 1949.
2) President Sukarno of Indonesia was the first chief guest at the Republic-Day celebrations.
3) The republic day celebrations actually last for 3 days, which ends on 29th January with beating retreat.
4) For the first time in 2014, the sign language used for differently abled people. Because the national pride that one feels needs no ears.
5) Rajpath was not the only place where the parade always took place. Kingsway, Irwin Stadium, Red Fort and Ramlila Maidan had also witnessed the parade in the history.
6) The scheduling for each program is fixed. Delay of even a second would have a cascading effect on the whole schedule.
7) The lion head from Ashoka Pillar officially became the national symbol of the country on this day.
8) The Peacock was declared as the national bird on this day in 1963.
9) Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru addressed the nation on the radio on the eve of the first Republic Day.
10) Being Mahatma Gandhi’s favourite song, the hymn ‘Abide with Me’ is played on every Republic Day.