He is badass, he is the most volatile character in the cartoon series, and he is the angriest bird you would know (Giving complexion to angry birds themselves). Besides these flaws, he is the most loved character and has a special corner in the hearts of millennial. He is temperamental and gets annoyed easily on silliest of the things. He is the most annoying, yet loving character of Disney. Yes! It’s Donald Duck for you.
Donald is always seen in a sailor shirt with a flat cap, red bow-tie, and no pants! The temperamental duck is celebrating his 83rd birthday today. And we’re here with the some ‘rare to find’ facts about our Birthday Duck.
Here are a few facts you ought to know about yellow-billed fellah.
1) He was born in 1934 with the name ‘Donald Fauntleroy Duck’ as his full name (You didn’t know that, do you?) He debuts in the film on June 9 in Wise Little Hen.
2) Though Disney is known for Mickey Mouse, it’s our birthday boy who is actually the most famous character. Donald Duck featured in more than 178 films, while Mickey Mouse had appeared in just only 137. The underdog, right?
3) Donald Duck was just 6 when he first started his relationship with Daisy Duck. And here I am, still can’t find one at the age of 22.
4) He was 9 years of age when the Duck won his first Academy Awards for Der Fuehrer’s Face.
5) In 2004, or at age of 70, he Received his first own Hollywood Walk Of Fame Star. Who said age matters?
6) He is a colour blind sailor. Yes, when in the wartime short Donald Gets Drafted, Donald goes to his local draft board and joins the army, getting accepted despite identifying a green card with “green” written on it as blue, having flat feet, and having no brain (apparently, being a duck was not an issue).
7) The first time he lost his temper was on August 11th, 1934 when he appeared in the Mickey Mouse cartoon ‘Orphan’s Benefit. Donald tries to recite Little Boy Blue but ends up throwing tantrums when the orphans keep heckling him. Donald was an immediate hit with audiences who loved his fiery temper.
8) Donald Duck named was rumoured to be inspired by cricket legend Donald Bradman. In 1932, Bradman and Australian team were on tour of North America. In a match against New York West Indian, Donald Bradman was dismissed for a duck. This is the time around when Walt Disney was in the process of creating a friend for Mickey Mouse.
9) WALT DISNEY said of the character: “One of the greatest satisfactions in our work here at the studio is the warm relationship that exists within our cartoon family. Mickey, Pluto, Goofy, and the whole gang have always been a lot of fun to work with. But like many large families, we have a problem child. You’re right, it’s Donald Duck.”
Team NLC wishes Donald Duck a very happy birthday, and hope to entertain us in years to come.
By: Ananya Pandit