News Leak Centre

No Fear No Favour

Novak Djokovic loses legal battle to avoid deportation from Australia

Tennis superstar Novak Djokovic has reacted after the Australian court dismissed the top-ranked men’s singles player’s appeal against a deportation order prior to the start of the Australian Open 2022. Djokovic, who arrived in Melbourne as the defending champion of the Grand Slam event will not feature in the prestigious competition after the Australian court upheld a government decision to cancel his visa on Sunday. 

Expressing his disappointment after the court hearing, Djokovic said that he respects the decision made by the Australian judges. The World No.1 also vowed to cooperate with the relevant authorities to complete his deportation. “I respect the Court’s ruling and I will cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country,” Djokovic said in a statement before the start of the Australian Open 2022.

Expressing his disappointment after the court hearing, Djokovic said that he respects the decision made by the Australian judges. The World No.1 also vowed to cooperate with the relevant authorities to complete his deportation. “I respect the Court’s ruling and I will cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country,” Djokovic said in a statement before the start of the Australian Open 2022.

Djokovic’s legal battle lasted for 11 days and his decision to arrive in Australia unvaccinated has cost him a shot at scripting history. Djokovic was hoping to become the first men’s player in the history of the sport to win 21 Grand Slam titles. However, Djokovic’s hopes were dashed by Federal Court after three judges rejected his last attempt to overturn the Australian government’s cancellation of his visa before the Grand Slam event. 

With the Australian government set to deport the World No.1 player, Djokovic revealed that he will be taking some time to rest and to recuperate after what all has happened in Australia. The 34-year-old was forced to spend a few nights at a notorious Melbourne detention centre after his visa was cancelled by the government. Djokovic was earlier scheduled to play in the Grand Slam event as the first seed.

“I am uncomfortable that the focus of the past weeks has been on me and I hope that we can all now focus on the game and tournament I love. I would like to wish the players, tournament officials, staff, volunteers and fans all the best for the tournament,” Djokovic said. Djokovic had clinched the record-extending ninth Australian Open title last year.

By line : Divya Thearia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.