Uttar Pradesh, even though being the most populated state of India, is one of the least developed states in the country. Crime rate, women security, corruption is few out of the many problems in UP.
The new Chief Minister, Yogi Adityanath, has to overcome all these problems and expected not repeat same actions as his predecessors. He is 5 times Member of Parliament and has been working a lot in his constituency, Gorakhpur. After becoming Chief Minister, he has taken a lot of steps to fulfil the promise of ‘Vikas’ that BJP had made. Alok Rai, senior journalist, based in Lucknow gave us a clear viewpoint on this. Following are the few steps that until now he had taken that no CM earlier had:
· After becoming the CM, the first order of Yogi Adityanath was for all the ministers to declare their movable and immovable assets within 15 days.
· BJP in its manifesto had declared during elections that they will ban all the illegal slaughter houses in the state. They have supported the beef ban. Yogi has also implemented this and ordered for the closure of all the illegal slaughter houses operating in the state.
· The Chief Minister has issued orders that no minister in the state government will be allowed to use the red beacons atop vehicles. This step is to prevent the VIP culture in the state.
· Hemvanti Nandan Bahuguna, former CM of UP in 1973, was the last Chief Minister who actually visited the entire CM office and raised the issue of cleanliness in government offices. After that, no CM has ever made an effort for such visit. But Yogi Adityanath actually took an initiative and took a round of the entire office. He also ordered for its cleanliness.
· CM has also ordered the government officers to come to the office at 9:30 AM and stay till 6:00 PM. The officers are also ordered to give a presentation to their respective ministers every day about their work.
· “Anti-Romeo squad” an initiative to catch the eve teasers in UP is launched by UP police for women protection. There has been a lot of criticism of this action as the allegations were raised that the police will actually harass innocent boys. Even though CM has clarified that this is just for women protection and no harassment of any innocent will take place, otherwise, strict action against the concerned officer will be taken.
· Yogi Adityanath made a surprise visit to the Hajrat Ganj Police station in Lucknow. He moved from one wing to the other. All the policemen looked nervous as it is rare for a chief minister to visit a local police station. Yogi Adityanath had a discussion with senior police officers and tried to understand how the department works. Yogi Adityanath said that it would not be the last inspection and more inspections in all the government departments would be carried out.
It’s been only a few days since the appointment of the new CM and efforts are under way to bring the state on track. It’s too early to speculate the possibilities of whether the steps taken are fruitful for the development. But at present, these moves are worth appreciating.
By – Parul Kulshrestha