Dr Radhakrishnan was born on 5th September 1888. He was Indian academic professor, politician and philosopher And he served as vice president as well as president of India. Following are the some facts about him.
1) A distinguished scholar of 20th century
• He was India ‘s most distinguished scholar of 20th century of comparative religion and philosophy. After completing his education at Madras Christain college he became philosophy professor at Madras presidency college.
2)First Indian to hold chair at Oxford University
• He was not only the first Indian to hold chair at University of Oxford but he also served as lecturer at Manchester college Oxford in 1926, 1929 and 1930.
3) Always defended Hinduism
• He defended Hinduism what he called ‘uniformed western criticism ’ contributing to the formation of contemporary Hindu identity. He has been influential in shaping understanding of Hinduism ,in both India and west he always had been beige builder between them.
4) Only president who did not attend Delhi
republic day parade
• He was the only president who did not attend Delhi Republic day parade due to his ill health.
5) Founder of Helpage India
• He was the founder of Helpage India which is non profit organization of elderly unprivlaged in India.
6)Winner of Bharat Ratna and other precious awards
• Dr. Radhakrishnan was winner of several high awards during his lifetime,including knighthood in 1931 .Morover, he also won Bharat Ratna award in 1954 ,which is highest civilian award. And he had honorary membership of British royal of order of merit in 1962.
Dr. Radhakrishnan believed that “teachers should be the best mind of the country “Since 1962 his birthday has been celebrated as Teachers’s day every year on 5 September.”
By Line: Divya Thearia