Byline By- Vinayak Heliwal
A sharp decline in daily new Covid-19 cases was observed on Monday as Health Ministry for the first time reported Covid Cases below the 3 lakh mark since April 21 in the country.
However, Health Ministry on Monday identified 26 potential cases of bleeding and blood clotting in India due to the administration of the Covishield vaccine.
In a report submitted to the Ministry of health and family welfare, the national AEFI (Adverse Event Following Immunization) Committee has said that bleeding and clotting cases following the Covishield vaccine shots are minuscule and in line with the expected number of diagnosis.
The Panel said that it had studied 498 (of 700) serious and severe events and found 26 reports as potential thromboembolic events referring to the potentially fatal formation of a blood clot that could break loose and be carried by the bloodstream to block another vessel.
The Committee also said no potential thromboembolic events were reported following administration of Covaxin Vaccine.
Meanwhile, Health Ministry separately issued advisories to health care workers and vaccine beneficiaries to encourage people to be aware of suspected thromboembolic symptoms occurring within 20 days after receiving any Vaccine, mainly particularly Covishield, and report preferably to the health facility where the Vaccination was administered.
Signs and Symptoms that may suggest possible blood clot event following the administration of Covishield vaccine.
- Pain in chest
- Pain in limbs or pain on pressing limbs or swelling in limbs.
- Multiple, pinhead size red spots or bruising of skin in an area beyond the injection site.
- Persistent abdominal pain with or without vomiting.
- Seizures in the absence of previous history of seizures with or without vomiting.
- Severe and persistent headache with or without vomiting.
- Weakness or paralysis of limbs or any particular side or part of the body including face.
- Persistent vomiting without any obvious reason.
- Blurred vision or pain in eyes or having double vision.
- Change in mental status or having confusion or depressed level of consciousness.
- Any other symptom or health condition which is of concern to the recipient or the family.
The development comes following persistent demands by public health experts and activists to release data on serious adverse events since the Covid Vaccination drive was started in India in Mid – January.