News Leak Centre

Asaram Bapu Verdict Live Updates: Self Styled ‘Godman’ Found Guilty of Raping Girl

Asaram Bapu verdict: The self-styled godman has been convicted for raping a 16-year-old in 2013. Special Judge Madhusudhan Sharma delivered the verdict in a makeshift court at the Jodhpur Central Jail where the self-styled godman has been lodged since 2013.

The trial in the two cases against him has been marked by a string of attacks against witnesses who dared to testify against him. Even the police and media men said they have been targetted. Jodhpur, where Asaram has been jailed since 2013, has been converted to a fortress to prevent any reprisals from his followers. Similar precautions have been taken in Shahjahanpur of Uttar Pradesh, where the young woman and her family now stay. Besides Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, extensive security arrangements have been made in Delhi and Haryana too.

The Rajasthan High Court had earlier ordered that the Asaram verdict be delivered inside the Jodhpur Central Jail. Elaborate security arrangements were made  with Section 144 being imposed in the city. The chargesheet had named Asaram and four others — Sanchita alias Shilpi, Sharad Chandra alias Sharat Chandra, Prakash and Shiva alias Sava Ram Hethvadiya. Asaram is charged under sections of the POCSO Act, Juvenile Justice Act and IPC.

 

Here are some reactions.

In 2013, thE self-styled godman was accused by a girl from Uttar Pradesh of raping her at the ashram. Her parents were his followers. One day the girl was brought to his ashram after school for treatment as she had fainted. Her parents were told that their daughter possessed evil spirits and can be cured at the ashram.

Later when her parents took her to the ashram Manai village near Jodhpur, they were told that their daughter needed to be left alone. On August 15, 2013 the girl accused Asaram of sexually assaulting her. In her complaint at a Delhi police station on August 20, 2013, she stated that she was asked to perform oral sex and was touched inappropriately.

Ranveer Singh imitates Manoj Kumar just like SRK, but the senior actor is not offended this time

Many years back, Shah Rukh Khan landed in trouble when he imitated the legendary actor, Manoj Kumar in his film, Om Shanti Om, which completed ten years just couple of days back. Things got so worse that the actor dragged SRK and director of the film, Farah Khan to the court. It was all sorted only after both SRK and Farah met the veteran actor, and apologised to him. Of course, that particular scene was also deleted from the final cut.

Ever since then no one dared to imitate Manoj Kumar again, until few days back when Ranveer Singh took to Instagram to post a picture of himself striking that very signature pose, which caused troubles for SRK. “Workin’ the Manoj Kumar (sic),” read the caption on Ranveer’s post. Check it out right here:

Workin' the Manoj Kumar

A post shared by Ranveer Singh (@ranveersingh) on

 

Thankfully, this time, the senior actor isn’t offended. In fact, he feels that Ranveer has done a “good job” of imitating him. “I have seen the snapshot. He has done a good job of imitating me. I laughed a lot when I saw the picture. Ranveer is on the right track,” he was quoted by Mid Day.

Comparing it to the SRK incident, Kumar said, “What Shah Rukh did was hitting below the belt, what Ranveer did was in good taste.”

For those who don’t know, in 2007, Shah Rukh Khan’s Om Shanti Om (OSO) had a scene in which he covers his face with his palm. However, Manoj Kumar didn’t take the matter lightly. Feeling insulted by the representation, he eventually demanded that the scene be omitted from the film.

Not just that, he is impressed with Ranveer’s body of work, especially with the film, Band Baaja Baarat. “Ranveer is a fine artiste. My good wishes are with him. I have seen his film, Band Baaja Baaraat,” adds Kumar.

Court Finds Model Preeti Jain Guilty For Plotting To Kill Madhur Bhandarkar

The model Preeti Jain is convicted by city civil and sessions court to three years in jail and levied a fine of Rs10,000 for plotting to eliminate filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar, against whom she had earlier registered a rape case.

Sentencing tow of her associated – Naresh Pardeshi and Shivram Das- to three-year on charges of conspiracy, aiding and abetting the crime. Two others aides from Uttar Pradesh were acquitted for lack of evidence.

Soon after the court’s decision, Jain sought suspension of sentence.

It was alleged Jain approached Pardeshi to eliminate Bhandarkar in 2005, almost a year after she filed a rape case against the filmmaker, and allegedly paid Rs75,000 for the job. However, as the task was not completed, she asked for her money back. The issue reached Gawli, who then sent his men to alert the police.

After a week-long probe, the police registered a case on September 10, 2005. Pardesi was arrested the same day and Jain was picked up while she was on her way to the Versova police station.

The police later arrested Pardeshi’s friend Shivram Das, who was allegedly helped him arrange for weapons and shooters.

The trial first began in the fast-track court in Sewree, but was later transferred to the sessions court.

Supreme Court ordered Govt. to spell out steps to ease public inconvenience due to demonetisation process.

The Supreme Court on Friday asked the Centre to spell out measures taken to ease the sufferings and inconvenience of people in rural areas, who are mostly dependent on co-operative banks, post-demonetisation.

A bench of Chief Justice T S Thakur and Justice D Y Chandrachud, while hearing a batch of pleas challenging various aspects of demonetization, said all the parties should sit together and prepare a list of categories of cases which could be referred to high courts and those that could be heard by the apex court.

Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for the Centre, said that the government is aware of the situation in co-operative banks which lack proper infrastructure and mechanism as compared to scheduled banks.

“Entire chapter in the additional affidavit filed by the Centre is dedicated to the issue of co-operative banks. It is not that we are not aware of the situation but these (the co-operative banks) lack proper facilities, mechanism and proper infrastructure as compared to scheduled banks,” he said.

He said that the government has deliberately kept co-operative banks out of the drive as these did not have the expertise to detect fake currency.

Rohatgi said, “Several cases are filed each passing day in various high courts on various aspects post demonetization and it is not possible to deal with cases simultaneously in Kerala, Kolkata, Jaipur and Mumbai…

All these matter should be clubbed together and be referred to any one high court or the apex court should hear them.”

Senior advocate P Chidambaram, appearing for co-operative banks, questioned the government’s decision, saying that the rural economy is almost paralyzed due to non-inclusion of co- operative banks.
Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, appearing for one of the petitioners, suggested that they will sit together and file the list of categories by Monday.

The bench then posted the hearing on the matter to December 5