Shedding those extra kilos have been a constant worry for many of us because an obese body not only spike chances of diseases such as heart ailments, diabetes, cancer and osteoarthritis but also causes lethargy and poor self esteem. A change in the diet, keeping nutrition in priority, which include a dozen basic knacks in the kitchen will give you the desired results.
1. Switch to organic brown rice.It is not only highly nutritious but contains only 111 calories per 100 g. And instead of the white rice pudding, switch to black rice pudding as it is loaded with antioxidants and anthocyanins which aids as anti-inflammatory,anti-viral and anti-cancer.
2. Avoid refined and whole wheat flour as it has glutens which can cause, inter alia, bloating and inflammation and is harmful for people with celiac disease. Incase you wish to include flour in your diet, multi-grain flour ( without wheat and rye) is still a better option.
3. Use olive oil on all occasions.Extra virgin olive oil is the least processed olive oil but all range of good quality olive oil helps.It has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Moderation of usage is the key here.
4. Sugar is sin.Not even brown sugar.Indulge in jaggery if you wish to sweeten your tastebuds once in a while.Honey is good and can be taken moderately and occasionally.
5. Broccoli, spinach and fenugreek leaves are the three musketeers you should include in your diet.It has very less calories but is abundant in nutrients. Cauliflower is another nutrient dense and light on the pocket cruciferous vegetable.
6. If you wish to lose weight , lessen your intake of fruits except, maybe, the berries family, musk melon, citrus limon and switch to vegetables rich diet.Bananas and papaya are inexpensive fruits but are highly beneficial and can be included in your diet.
7. Fresh water fishes such as Rohu, Tilapia, Catla are on the lower range as far as price is concerned but equally good.It is rich in antioxidants and Omega 3 and 6 amino fatty acids which are good for the heart, brain, hair and skin. It also helps fight depression.Chicken and eggs should also be included in your diet as they are a good source of protien. Sea water fishes is said to contain high level of mercury which are toxic to the body and is considered harmful for pregnant women.
8. Use Skimmed milk. Nandini slim milk from Karnataka is a good option and cost only 50 rupees per litre or less on offers and is available on Big Basket and StarQuik.Also, double toned milk and Amul Slim and Trim milk powder is a good alternative for weight loss.Milk is a good source of calcium and is essential for healthy bones.Instead of cottage cheese, switch to soya made Tofu which are high on calcium and iron and is low fat and contains heart healthy vegetable protiens.
9. Pulses and lentils, popularly called the Poor Man’s Protien, should be included in your regular diet as it is a cost effective source of protiens, fibre, vitamins and minerals. Also,make sure that when you saute mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds should be use apart from the other spices such as turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder. Includes all spices but in moderation because they too also contain calories.
10. Avoid red meat. Red poha with lots of peanuts in it, curry leaves and lemon can also be eaten as afternoon snacks. Oats, Quinoa and Muesli are good to have as breakfasts as they are extremely nutritious but low on fats and calories.
11.Use only half a tea spoon of olive oil on all the food you prepare ,maybe, except during the making of fish or chicken curry.Then,you can use one teaspoon of oil. Chicken and Fish Stew are nutritious alternative non-oil dishes.
12.A vegetable stew with herbs such as fresh ginger, garlic and onions along with their paste and red chilli powder with coriander as a garnish ingredient is a healthy non-oil dish and is delicious when taken with rice.
The trick of using least oil is to use the lid on your kadhai in low heat frame when you saute so that the steam will make up for the less oil you have used.Also use low sodium salt such as Tata Lite.And eat in moderation because gluttony is sin & drink lots of water. No liquid is better than clean (mineral) drinking water.And above all, walk for atleast 30 minutes daily.