As the central government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi mandate the linking of PAN card with Aadhaar for filing tax returns, there was quite a stir across the country, with many tax payers facing glitches in the process, mostly in the last minute. There were further confusions on whether by linking the PAN card with Aadhaar will result in the deactivation of the PAN card. However, the government clarified that the linking of cards is mandatory for Income Tax Returns only.
Meanwhile, recent government information stated that the centre has deactivated 81 lakh Aadhaar numbers till date for several reasons. As reported by Hindustan Times, PP Chaudhury, MoS for Electronics and IT told in the Rajya Sabha, “Till date, approximately 81 lakh Aadhaar numbers have been deactivated. The state-, year- and reason-wise data is not maintained by the UIDAI.”
Stating that the Aadhar numbers were deactivated as per provisions of Sections 27 and 28, and that the UIDAI have the authority to take such measures, Chaudhary said, “Prior to enactment of the Aadhaar Act, 2016, the deactivation (suspension) of Aadhaar numbers was done as per the Aadhaar Life Cycle Management (ALCM) guideline.”
Besides the Aadhaar numbers, the government has deactivated 11 lakh PAN cards also. And while many stay confused whether their Aadhaar or PAN card is still active or not, here are the steps to check the status online:
To check if Aadhaar number is active:
- The status of the card is available at the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India
- The following step is to click on “Verify Aadhar Number” link, visible under Aadhar Services section, which will get directed to a new page.
- On the new page there will be a space to enter the 12-digit Aadhar number and a separate space below to enter the ‘Security Code’ displayed on the page.
- After entering the details and clicking on “Verify”, “Aadhaar number exists” will be displayed if the number is valid and “the number doesn’t exist” on contrary cases.
To check whether PAN card is active, the process is almost similar:
- Whether a PAN card is active can be checked at the official website of Income Tax Department, incometaxindiaefiling,gov.in
- The following step is to click on “Know your PAN” under the “Services” tab on the homepage.
- And as the new page opens, the required details are to be entered in the given boxes including the registered mobile number. On entering the “Submit” button, after the details are filled, an One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to the registered mobile number.
- After the OTP is verified, the status of the card, “Active” or “Not Active” will be displayed.
By Priyam Mukhopadhyay