In many countries, particularly INDIA, the automobile is the single most recycled consumer product. Despite cars long being the bane of environmentalists, the auto recycling industry is vibrant and entrepreneurial; environmentally friendly, market driven, and sustainable.
Cars are lasting longer than ever before, but in the end all vehicles have a lifespan and end up scrapped. “Scrap”, though, is, perhaps, an unfair descriptor to define the unroadworthy vehicle. Indeed, it’s fair to say its components take on a whole new life after it can no longer be driven. Tires, wheels, car seats, carpets, oil filters, batteries, windshield glass, steel and iron, radios, radiators, airbags, catalytic converters, transmissions, and mats – yes, all have value, all can help improve the environment.
This is borne out by the latest statistics which indicate that:
- Up to 95% of a vehicle is recycled.
- The average new car contains about 25% of its body from recycled steel.
- Every year, over 25 million tons of materials are recycled from old vehicles.
- Every year, the amount of hazardous fluids and oils reclaimed safely by auto recyclers is equal to 8 Exxon Valdez disasters!
- More than 14 million tons of recycled steel is derived from junk vehicles.
- Approximately 90 percent of the aluminium in a vehicle is recovered and recycled.
- 43,200 tonnes of metal are recycled in the world per annum.
The automotive recycling industry has demonstrated a great capacity to extend the lifespan for most of the items in a typical automobile. For example, car tires can serve to make fuel, artificial turf, mulch for landscaping, and even rubberized asphalt for roadways!
Similarly, the recycling of catalytic converters has become ever-more effective. Now, higher yields, vastly improved awareness of the value of scrap catalytic converters and more efficient logistics are delivering a growing market that is both profitable and environmentally friendly. So, recycle your catalytic converter now with Ecotrade Group and take a step towards making money and saving the environment.
Click here to sell: Ecotrade Group