As actor Madhuri Dixit-Nene celebrates her 50th birthday today on May 15, here are 15 facts about her that you probably didn’t know. From not having Bollywood as her first choice of career to being paid more than Salman Khan for Hum Aapke Hain Koun, we have compiled a list of interesting trivia about her.
1. She has a degree in microbiology. Initially, Madhuri had no interest in pursuing a career in Bollywood. Her first film was Abodh (1984), but she came into the limelight with Tezaab (1988).
2. Madhuri is the only female actor to be nominated for Filmfare awards 14 times. Out of this, she has received the iconic Black Lady trophy four times in the Best Actress category and twice in other categories.
3. A trained Kathak dancer, Madhuri is the only female actor of her times to have been choreographed by Kathak exponent Pandit Birju Maharaj. He even went on to say that she is the best dancer in Bollywood.
4. The actor had to wear a costume that weighed 30kg for a song in Devdas. It was conceptualised and designed by designer Neeta Lulla.
5. Acclaimed artist late MF Husain was besotted by her beauty and claimed to have watched her film, Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994) 67 times. She became his muse, inspiring a string of paintings and even a movie, by the name of Gaja Gamini (2000) with Shah Rukh Khan.